BC-SMART Newsletter Issue 1, February, 2020
BC-SMART Roadmap, January 2019: Executive Summary-Establishing the BC-SMART fuels consortium
BC-SMART White Paper, March 2018: Developing a decarbonization strategy for British Columbia’s marine, aviation, rail and truck sectors
BC-SMART Biofuels Consortium Feedstock Workshop, October 24, 2019
- Discussion paper-How the BC-SMART Biofuels Consortium can contribute to the CleanBC goal of producing 650 million liters of biofuels by 2030: Focus on Feedstock, BC-SMART Biofuels Secretariat
- Agenda, BC-SMART Biofuels Consortium Feedstock Workshop
- Meeting minutes
Setting the scene
- Update on the BC-SMART Biofuels Consortium, Jack Saddler, BC-SMART Secretariat
- A supplier’s perspective on how the supply of lipids/oleochemicals might evolve to support a co-processing approach to making low carbon-intensive transportation fuels for BC. Rob Jones, West Coast Reduction Ltd.
- Past, present and future considerations of using Canadian oilseeds feedstocks to make low-carbon intensive transportation fuels. Dennis Rogoza, Rogoza Consulting Group Inc.
- An oilseed processors’ perspective on the use of Canadian oilseeds as feedstocks to make low-carbon intensive transportation fuels. Chris Vervaet, Canadian Oilseed Processors Association.
- An oil refinery perspective on the potential opportunity of using Canadian oleochemicals feedstocks in co-processing in BC. Dave Schick and Sergios Karatzos, Parkland Fuels Corporation.
- A biofuel producer perspective on the growth of drop-in biofuel use in long-distance transport sector. Dayne Delahoussaye, Neste
- The potential of using oleochemicals in a co-processing approach and how it can contribute to Provincial and Federal low Carbon Intensity (CI) goals. Don O’Connor, (S&T) Squared Consultants Inc.
- Developing a forest biomass supply information system. How much forest biomass might we access? James Sandland, BC Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development (FLNRORD).
- Forestry polices in B.C. – Recent changes and future opportunities to enhance biomass availability. Vera Sit, BC Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development (FLNRORD).
- How the wood pellet sector can contribute to the meeting the CleanBC/CFS goals and the production of biocrudes in particular. Gordon Murray, Wood Pellet Association of Canada
Advanced Biofuels Conference, September 17-19, 2019, Stockholm, Sweden: Click to access Members Only resources.
- Time to act faster and bolder to stop climate crisis: Our journey to a carbon neutral world. Andreas Tier, Vice President, Sales Nordic, Neste
- Fast pyrolysis bio-oil: commercial production & applications. Gerhard Muggen, BTG Bioliquids
- HydroFlex – the solution to production of renewable jet fuel and diesel. Mikala Grubb, Senior Business Development Manager, Haldor Topsoe
- IEA Bioenergy Task 39: Commercializing Conventional and Advanced Liquid Biofuels from Biomass. Jack (John) N. Saddler, Professor and NSERC Industrial Senior Chair, The University of British Columbia
- Advanced biofuels production in the USA: Status and outlook. James D. McMillan, Chief Engineer, National Bioenergy Center, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Aviation in Norway: How to fly on biojet in 2020 and beyond. Judit Sandquist, SINTEF Energy Research
IEA-AMF Transport Decarbonisation Workshop, November 18, 2019, Brussels, Belgium: Click to access Members Only resources.
- EU Perspective on transport decarbonisation. Bernd Küpker, DG Energy, European Commission
- Brazilian perspective on transport decarbonisation. Miguel Oliveria, Director, Biofuels Department, Ministry of Mines and Energy, Brazil
- Global Perspective on transport decarbonisation, Adam Brown, Managing Director, Energy Insights Ltd.
- Biofuels: state of the art and perspective towards 2030. Jack (John) N. Saddler, Professor and NSERC Industrial Senior Chair, The University of British Columbia
- Advanced biofuels: What holds them back? Toshimasa Masuyama, Bioenergy Analyst, International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA)
- Summary of country assessments: Juhani Laurikko, Principal Scientist, VTT Technical Research Centre
- Tracking progress on biofuels implementation. Adam Brown, Managing Director, Energy Insights Ltd.
- How to introduce the future transport system. Dina Bacovsky, Unit Head Biofuels at BEST – Bioenergy and Sustainable Technologies (Bioenergy 2020+)